Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cinema Memoir #55

Predator 2 (November 21st, 1990)

I had really high expectations for this movie. I didn't see the first one in the theater but I certainly wore out the video.

I was in fifth grade and my good friend Tim Royal and I were huge Predator fans. We would spend most of the day drawing pictures of Ninja Turtles and Predator. Tim's family hardly ever went to the movies, so it was my job (or maybe more my pleasure) to see the movie and report back to him.

This movie came out during a week that my mom was out of town on business and so my dad promised to take me that Friday. The anticipation throughout the week was tremendous. Come Friday I get home full of excitement only to find that my dad had forgotten and wanted to postpone.

This is one of only two times that bawling my eyes got me into a movie (the other being Honey I Shrunk the Kids), only this time I wasn't being bratty about it. I took the news with dignity and saved my tears for my pillow. I guess he noticed and felt bad, because the next thing I knew we were in the truck. I hope he liked it. I know I sure did.

Check out the trailer.

(Image from impawards.com)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dude... don't I remember! The anticipation was even worse for me, waiting for the VHS to hit the video rental shelf. Considering I never made it to the movie theater much as a youngster. I looked so forward to those movie reports... I even saved a few of your Predator sketches from back in the day. I still miss those movie and soundtrack discussions with you man.